Where is Microsoft Headquarters on Map?
|HQ:||One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA, USA|
|Industry:||Software development, Computer hardware, Consumer electronics, Social networking service, Cloud computing, Video games, Internet and Corporate venture capital|
|Founded:||April 4, 1975 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.|
|Founder:||Bill Gates and Paul Allen|
|Products:||Windows, Office, Servers, Skype, Visual Studio, Dynamics, Xbox, Surface and Mobile List of software|
|Services:||Azure, Bing, LinkedIn, Yammer, MSDN, Office 365, OneDrive, Outlook.com, GitHub, TechNet, Pay, Microsoft Store, Windows Update, Xbox Game Pass, and Xbox Live|
What is Microsoft?
Perhaps, you are aware of software merchandise such as the Microsoft Windows line of operating systems, the Microsoft Office Suite, the Internet Explorer, and the Edge web browsers. Guess what? They are all products of Microsoft!
The name Microsoft is generated by combining the terms ‘microcomputer’ and ‘software.’ But, aside from that, what is Microsoft?
Microsoft is an American corporate organization that manufactures, licenses, and sells technological products such as personal computers, software, and consumer electronics. Some of their best outputs are hardware products such as the Microsoft Surface lineup of touchscreen personal computers, and the Xbox video game consoles. They also became the world’s largest software maker by revenue way back in 2016 and ranked Number 30 in the 2018 Fortune 500 rankings of the largest United States corporations. As of now, it is included in the Big Five technology companies together with Google, Facebook, Amazon, and Apple.
Weeks before Microsoft had been launched on March 13, they relocated onto the grounds of One Microsoft Way in Redmond, Washington. That campus became their corporate head office and is now known as Microsoft Redmond Campus. Ever since the establishment, the said campus grew bigger and bigger because of the expansions made. It is also now estimated to comprise over 8 million ft² (750,000 m²) of office space with a range of 30,000 to 40,000 employees.
They also have offices in Bellevue, Issaquah, Washington, and Charlotte, North Carolina, amounting to more than 90,000 employees worldwide. Moreover, Microsoft Company also bought the 32-acre campus in Mountain View, California, and is planning to further upgrade it into a grand scale and expand it by 25%.
How Does Microsoft Make Money?
We all know that Microsoft is a large company with big sales. You might be wondering if how does this company make their billions of money. In this review, I’ll be giving you ideas on how they were able to earn bulks of money.
Microsoft company offers a lot of products and services thus, they were able to gain profits. Microsoft sells software products which include operating systems, hardware products such as personal computers, tablets, gaming consoles, entertainment consoles, and phones, cloud-based solutions, and support services. Moreover, the company acquires profits by developing, licensing, and supporting an extensive variety of products.
All in all, Microsoft is earning a lot of money because of their high-quality products and services which are suitable for customers nowadays. We are now in the modern age with digital literate people and so, businesses associated with technology are the trend for the clients.
Why is Microsoft so successful?
I’m pretty sure that no one can deny the global massive impact Microsoft has made. Even when the technology and market opportunities continuously develop, they remain as a dominant player.
What is the secret formula to their success?
- The first one I can note is the standards. Microsoft was founded in 1975, however, despite being a juvenile company, they already have high principles. They set their standards high, and it played the most crucial part of their success. They believed that if you achieved all of your goals, you probably did not set the bar high enough. These standards also made them flexible and capable to adapt in every technological change.
- Another one is their resiliency. For sure, you know that no one, either an individual or a company, automatically becomes successful the moment they started. Microsoft also underwent that phase. They had their failures, and many disliked them because of them. An example is when they attempted to compete in the smartphone market and portable music market using Zune. Even Windows 8 is also considered as a failure to them. However, despite these breakdowns, Microsoft did not give up. Them being always on the top ten list is evidence of their resiliency and their ability to recover.
- Moreover, they are risk-takers. They carefully analyze the given situation they are in, then weigh its pros and cons. A great example of this is when the International Business Machines (IBM) Corporation asked them to create an operating system for the computer they are developing. IBM considered having a logical successor to the typewriter, which is the successful personal computers. IBM even requested for an exclusive licensing agreement for the operating system software (MS-DOS), but Microsoft denied it. Microsoft’s founders assumed that if they were to license the operating system software (MS-DOS) to multiple companies, they would gain much more. It was indeed a very huge risk to them. Despite that, it may have also been the best conclusion they ever made.
- Furthermore, they have good relationships with their employees. Microsoft’s employees undergo performance reviews every year. The managers assess their performances, and depending on the results, they may get an increased salary, possible promotions, bonuses, and incentive stock options. Great, right? That is because Microsoft values each of its employees. They believe that every worker of them must also set their goals, learn from their mistakes and actions, and improve themselves. This must also be the core foundation of Microsoft’s resiliency and strong endurance because every staff also experienced the same struggles.
- In addition to that, they are smart and can adapt to changes well. They held onto their ‘Windows or nothing’ attitude for so long, and underestimate the potential of the internet. However, since they have a lot of financial resources, they were able to endure countless numbers of failures. Regardless of these failures, Microsoft still has more wins. They managed to leave their conventional philosophy ‘Windows or nothing’, and cited for ways to compete in the new markets. During that time, Android has taken over Windows, and PC sales have declined. Fortunately, they strived for more and it resulted in them now offering Office on iOS and Android devices and even Chromebooks. Their SQL Server database also now runs on Linux and maybe disseminated on Microsoft Azure.
Concerning the improvements in future technology, Microsoft also invests in data management, quantum computing, and artificial intelligence (AI).
Some of you may even ask why are Microsoft’s stocks always high. All I can say is that they set their goals higher than before, making them encounter many complications along the way. Despite that, they overcame these complications and hardships to get to where they are standing now. Experiences are their swords for it became their lesson, and made them firm and flexible to face every challenge altogether.
History of Microsoft
In 1975, Microsoft was established by Bill Gates and Paul Allen. It was April 4, 1975, when they decided to develop and sell BASIC interpreters for the Altair 8800. The success of the company started when Microsoft Disk Operating System (MS-DOS) dominated the personal computer operating system market in the mid of the year 1980. Its different cryptic commands became part of people’s daily work. This operating system has a command-line interface (CLI) wherein it uses a command at a prompt.
Following this operating system, the company has launched Windows which until now is accessible and useful. Windows became popular in the operating system market and it has different versions as time passed by. The first Windows which is Windows 1.0 was developed during 1985. It was loved by the market since it has a graphical user interface (GUI). Unlike with MS-DOS, Windows 1.0 is easier to use because of its interface that is made of icons and digital graphics. It also contains a calendar, calculator, MS paint, and primitive word processor.
It was a great victory for the company in 1986 when their initial public offering (IPO) and consequent rise in its share price made three people billionaires and around 12,000 people millionaires. Indeed, Microsoft is a rich company.
The success of Microsoft continued with its Windows 2.0 operating system in 1987. This time, there are additional features included. Aside from the features similar to Windows 1.0, the company improved the previous operating system and put the MS Excel and MS Word as part of the built-in features. Unfortunately, in the same year, Microsoft was sued by Apple – another operating system company – for imitating their operating system design.
In 1990, another successful operating system was launched by Microsoft and this was Windows 3.0. After two years, an upgraded version of Windows 3.0 which is Windows 3.1 was released to the public. The issues and problems with Windows 3.0 were addressed in this operating system.
As the company earns a lot of sales through consecutive years, more operating systems were created. In the year 1993, Microsoft developed the operating system Windows New Technology (NT). It has 32 bits of storage capacity and in this version, the start button has first appeared.
The most publicized release of Microsoft happened in 1995 where Windows 95 was launched. About seven million copies were sold for the first five weeks of the launch. This has a built-in internet and plug and plays capabilities that hooked the attention of the customers.
After the big break in 1995, the company had launched again another operating system in 1998. This was Windows 98 which is a user-friendly operating system as it was designed for consumers.
The company’s next operating system was launched during the year 2000. This was called Windows Millennium Edition (ME) 2000. Its main purpose is for home use. It includes system restore and movie maker.
Who would not know Windows Experience (XP)? I am sure many of us are familiar with this since it was a faster operating system compared to Windows ME 2000.
After Windows XP, an operating system such as Windows Vista in 2006 and Windows 7 in 2009 were consecutively developed and publicized by Microsoft.
In 2012, Windows 8 was developed and it has reimagined operating system and touchscreen technology.
And finally, after all the various operating systems of Microsoft, the latest version was discovered which is Windows 10 launched in 2015 with features such as Cortana, a digital assistant. Until now Windows 10 is popular in the market since it is more comprehensive and with great features. Maybe you also have your personal computer with the Windows 10 operating system.
That’s how Microsoft became popular and even now, it is still one of the best and trusted companies of operating systems. Who would not want to become part of them? I’m sure you also dream to be one of their team.
Founders of Microsoft
Bill Gates and Paul Allen were both childhood friends who want to utilize their computer programming skills, which eventually led to the founding of Microsoft.
Gates studied at Harvard University. Meanwhile, Allen continued his degree in computer science at Washington State University but later dropped out to work at a publicly-traded multinational conglomerate company named Honeywell International.
The two of them first established Traf-O-Data in 1975, whose main objective is to track and analyze automobile traffic data. However, when the Micro Instrumentation and Telemetry Systems (MITS) Altair 8800 microcomputer was released in January 1975, a thought then popped out of Allen’s mind. He said he can make this device’s BASIC simulator while Gates can develop its BASIC interpreter.
BASIC is a family of meaningful high-level programming that emphasizes ease of use. When Gates and Allen demonstrated it to MITS in March 1975, they liked it and marketed the device as Altair BASIC.
After a month, they founded Microsoft with Gates as its CEO. The name Microsoft was Allen’s idea. He said they could combine the terms ‘microcomputer’ and ‘software,’ then voila! Microsoft was established. In August 1977, they also established ASCII Microsoft, their first-ever international office, after making a contract with ASCII Magazine in Japan.
Microsoft joined the operating system (OS) business in 1980, then, later on, became the leading PC operating systems vendor worldwide, following their release of MS-DOS.
However, in 1983, Allen resigned from Microsoft after being diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease. Nevertheless, he still invested in neuroscience, sports teams, low-tech sectors, commercial real estate, and many more.
Microsoft is a well-known company around the globe. It is best known for its outstanding software products like operating systems. They are one of the best companies in the market for about 45 years since they started. Up to now, they are continuously making their name popular and on top.
For your information, Microsoft Corporation is at 1 Microsoft Way, Redmond, Washington 98052-8300. You may contact them through their hotline number 1 (425) 882-8080.
Everything You Need to Know About Microsoft
As I have mentioned earlier, Microsoft is a leading technology company that offers different products and services. The company is best known for its operating systems Windows, Microsoft Office, Visual Studio, and other hardware products like computers, tablets, and phones.
The success of the company started when Bill Gates launched his first operating system back in 1975. Until now, the company is still producing exceptional products and services in the market.
I have listed below some important information about Microsoft that might help you know them better especially when you are planning to apply for a job in their firm:
- You can visit them at www.microsoft.com.
- The headquarters of Microsoft is at Redmond, Washington.
- Bill Gates and Paul Allen are the founders of Microsoft.
- Skype, Yammer, LinkedIn, Minecraft (Mojang), and GitHub are Microsoft subsidiaries.
- Windows, Office, Xbox, Azure, Surface, Edge, Bing, and Teams are Microsoft products.
- Apple and Google are leading competitors of Microsoft.
These are just six facts about Microsoft that you might not want to miss.
What is it like to work at Microsoft?
Practically speaking, everyone uses Windows and Office, which are all products of Microsoft. That is why working at this company can truly make you feel excited, proud, and validated. No one ignores it. I mean, who would even dare to?
Samir Majhi, a former Program Manager (PM) at Microsoft, stated how it is like to work there. He said the environment was really good since there are a lot of exciting things to do, including the tremendous opportunities to learn. Every personnel there will also help you out if you are given a task. There is also not much pressure in finishing your work as soon as possible. You see, work is not a typical work at Microsoft.
They treat their employees very well. Evidence of it is the well-stocked pantry filled with biscuits, soft drinks, coffees, teas, soups, and hot chocolates. You can also play pool, Xbox, or chess when you need a break.
Microsoft does not underestimate the impact of stress on their employees’ productivity, health, and sense of well-being. They even have showers at office gyms to balance each staff’s work and life. If you also want to take a leave, you don’t need to ask for your manager’s permission. All you need to do is inform them, then go ahead.
Discipline and career development are built at Microsoft. They also encourage their employees to work well and keep on learning. And if you have shown great improvement, you can be subjected to a salary increase, promotions, and many more.
How can I work for Microsoft?
Frankly speaking, landing on the job you want the most is never an easy process. Fortunately, Microsoft’s talent recruiters shared some of their tips. Take note of the following, especially if you someday want to work at Microsoft.
- Always be prepared. Research about Microsoft and its products before undergoing an interview. It is also important that you have fundamental knowledge in coding since that is the most challenging part of their interviews.
- Be flexible. You should know how to blend well with your co-workers, especially on how to utilize your talents and skills when with them.
- Trust your skills. You won’t get far if you doubt your abilities.
- It’s fine to be nervous, but don’t forget to be yourself, so that they can get to know you more.
- Be honest, especially when you don’t know something. Knowledge can be learned, and they can help you with it. Just be honest with them.
- Thank your interviewers. Only a few do this, but it certainly leaves a good expression.
- If you are rejected, do not give up. You can talk to your recruiters about the possibilities of being hired by another team. Microsoft is a huge company, and they have a lot of jobs that you can take, so cheer up!
How to Get a Tour of Microsoft Visitor Center (MVC)
There is no registration fee required in visiting the Microsoft Visitor Center (MVC) but you need to check the schedule of the tour on the website of MVC to make sure that your desired date is available for the visit. Sometimes, there are special or private events held at the venue so, you cannot visit the place at that time.
Can you visit Microsoft headquarters?
Microsoft headquarters is located at Redmond in King County, Washington, USA. If you have enough resources and means of traveling, you can easily visit them. It’s a great idea to visit Microsoft headquarters since you can see a lot of buildings and technology products there. Also, if you want to apply for a job in Microsoft, it is a good way to familiarize the place by having a visit.
What to do in Microsoft headquarters?
You can experience various latest technology products offered by the company at the Microsoft Visitors Center (MVC). You can also experience hands-on exhibits and get educated about the people behind the successful Microsoft products.
How many Microsoft headquarters are there?
Microsoft has around 600 offices worldwide however, it has only one main headquarters which is located at Redmond, Washington. The headquarters in the USA is most likely a town because it is composed of several buildings. It has more than a hundred buildings at the campus that’s why it can accommodate a large number of workers and employees.
Who is the owner of Microsoft?
Most people are thinking that Bill Gates is the current owner of Microsoft. Are you one of these people? Currently, the Chief-Executive-Officer of the company is Satya Nadella. Since the year 2000, Bill Gates left the position of being CEO and passed it to Steve Ballmer. Though Bill Gates is not the CEO anymore, he is still serving the company. In 2014, Satya Nadella was appointed to become the new and current CEO of the technology company.
Who owns the most Microsoft stocks?
Steve Ballmer, the former CEO, has the greatest amount of stocks in the company. Despite that he is not one of the founders of the company, he is the major stockholder with over 300 million shares.
Who audits Microsoft?
Microsoft’s Audit Committee depends on the skills and knowledge of its management, internal auditor, and independent auditor. They have various responsibilities and their tasks are divided accordingly.
For instance, the management is accountable for the preparation, presentation, and integrity of Microsoft’s consolidated financial statements, internal control over financial reporting, accounting and financial reporting principles, and exposure of procedures made to assure compliance with accounting standards, applicable laws, and regulations.
Meanwhile, Deloitte & Touche, Microsoft’s independent auditor, is responsible for the independent audit of financial statements, and the opinions regarding its conformity with accounting principles.
Is Microsoft stock a good long term investment today?
As a matter of fact, yes, it surely is. Ever since its establishment, Microsoft Corporation’s stocks only get higher and higher. If you want a company, Microsoft can be your greatest opportunity. The key to their elevated stocks is the consumer’s relentless demand.
You see, it is all about demand and supply. When the demand is higher than the supply, the stocks rise, however, when the demand is lower than the supply, the stocks fall. Fortunately, Microsoft’s products always have a high demand. Big buying is an example of it. Some people also buy their product, then sell it to another, hoping that the current price is only temporary, and it will have a lower price on its next release. On the contrary, that never happened. That is one of Microsoft’s marketing strategy, and also one of the reasons why their stocks are always all-time high.
So, if you’re looking for something great to invest your money, you need not doubt with Microsoft.
- Microsoft started in 1975.
- Bill Gates and Paul Allen were childhood friends and they founded Microsoft.
- The two of them first established Traf-O-Data in 1975, whose main objective is to track and analyze automobile traffic data.
- Paul Allen resigned from Microsoft after being diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease.
- The name Microsoft is a combination of ‘microcomputer’ and ‘software.’
- Microsoft is one of the leading technology companies in the world.
- They are resilient, risk-takers, smart, and can adapt to changes well.
- Just like any other company, Microsoft also experienced failures before becoming who they are now.
- They joined the operating system (OS) business in 1980, then, later on, became the leading PC operating systems vendor worldwide, following their release of MS-DOS.
- With regards to the improvements in future technology, Microsoft also invests in data management, quantum computing, and artificial intelligence (AI).
- Microsoft treats its employees very well.
- Satya Nadella is the current CEO.
- Deloitte & Touche is Microsoft’s independent auditor.
- The Microsoft headquarters is located at Redmond, Washington.
- You can reach them through their hotline 1 (425) 882-8080.
You’ll also like:
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Headquarters
RSA Insurance Group Headquarters
Pfizer Inc. Headquarters
American Telephone and Telegraph Company Headquarters
Johnson & Johnson Headquarters Office